As indicated by our 2022 information, the best vehicle insurance agency is USAA, however its protection items are simply accessible to individuals from the tactical local area. If none of that applies to you, State Farm, which currently holds the No. 2nd place in our evaluation.
We looked at rates data and customer feedback to find the best auto insurance companies, paying particular attention to customer service, claims handling, customer loyalty, and policy renewal. Additionally, we inquired of survey respondents regarding their likelihood of recommending their current insurer to a driver looking for a new policy.
This list can help you compare insurers based on the factors that matter most to you if you’re looking for auto insurance. However USAA and State Ranch stand out, you might track down a superior fit with one of the other eight organizations in our rating. As a result, before you buy or renew your policy, it’s a good idea to compare rates from a number of different insurers.
Top Car Insurance Providers
RANK COMPANY RATING AVERAGE ANNUAL RATE LEARN MORE: 1 USAA 4.3 U.S. News Rating $1,000 Compare Quotes » 2 State Farm 4.2 U.S. News Rating $1,267 Compare Quotes » 3 Farmers 4.1 U.S. News Rating $1,917 Compare Quotes » 3 Nationwide 4.1 U.S. News Rating $1,327 Compare Quotes » 3 Geico 4.1 U.S. News Rating $1,148 According to our evaluations, USAA is the best insurance provider. In our survey for 2023, customers of USAA report the highest levels of customer satisfaction, the highest likelihood of renewing their policies, and the highest likelihood of recommending USAA to other drivers. Our research also shows that USAA has the lowest rates, beating the national average by 35%.
Auto, home, and renters insurance policies from USAA are only available to members of the military community. As a result, this insurer will not be able to cover all drivers.
Read more about USAA in our review.
2. U.S. News gives State Farm a rating of 4.2. 2 in our rating, with scores above average in all of our subratings, including Customer Loyalty and Claims Handling. It also did well in our ranking of the 2023 Cheapest Car Insurance Companies. Our rating for those who were unable to obtain a policy from USAA was based on its average premiums for drivers whose driving records were less than perfect.
Read our State Farm review to learn more.
3. Farmers tied for No. 1 with a 4.1 U.S. News Rating 3 in our rating, and it and a number of our subratings tie for the top spots. It holds ties for No. 1 in Cases Taking care of and negative. 2 in Client care and Client Devotion. When compared to other insurers, Farmers’ score of 4.0 is lower than the category average of 4.2, making it less likely to be renewed. It also has one of the highest average annual rates among the businesses we rated.
Read more about Farmers in our review.
3. Nationwide’s 4.1 U.S. News Rating has risen two spots since our analysis in 2021, putting it in a tie for the No. 3 spot. In our Customer Loyalty and Most Likely to Be Recommended subratings, Nationwide ranks second, and its scores in all other subrating categories are above average. For some drivers, especially those with a clean driving record or poor credit, nationwide also has rates that are below average.
Read our Nationwide review for more information.
3. Geico received a rating of 4.1 from U.S. News and World Report. With average scores in a variety of areas, including Claims Handling, Customer Service, and Customer Loyalty, Geico is tied for third place in our list of the Best Car Insurance Companies of 2023. It also comes in second place on our list of the cheapest car insurance companies for 2023 because it offers some of the lowest average rates for drivers who are younger, older, or have bad credit.
Read more in our review of Geico.
6. U.S. News Rating: Allstate moves up three spots to tie for No. Allstate is also ranked No. 6 in this year’s Best Car Insurance Companies list. 4 in our subrating for Most Likely To Be Recommended, despite receiving slightly below-average scores in the majority of our other subrating categories. Our analysis shows that its rates are among the highest, but some drivers, like those who have a speeding ticket on their record, may be able to get a better deal from Allstate.
Read more in our review of Allstate.
6. U.S. News Travelers received a rating of 4.0 this year, moving up two spots and tying for the No. 1 spot. position six. In our analysis, Travelers’ customer service score is lower than that of seven other insurers, but it earns the No. The No. 1 position in our Claims Handling subrating category 3rd place in the Most Likely to Be Renewed section. Additionally, Travelers has premiums that are typically lower than the national average and receives a score that is above average for policy renewal.
Read our Travelers review to learn more.
8. U.S. News Rating: 3.9 Progressive advances to No. 8th place in our evaluation. Although Progressive ranks last in our Best for Customer Loyalty category and receives below-average scores in every other subrating in our survey, customers are generally pleased with the ease of opening a policy. Customers of Progressive also say that they are less likely to renew their policies or to recommend Progressive to other drivers. Progressive, on the other hand, may offer DUI offenders savings. It has some of the lowest rates in our study for those drivers.
Read our Progressive review to learn more.
U.S. News Rating
AAA is new to our Best Vehicle Insurance Agency rating, and it attaches with Moderate for the No. 8 spot. In every category we looked at, its scores are lower than average. However, it does take the No. beating Allstate, Farmers, Progressive, and American Family to the sixth spot in our subrating of the Most Likely to Be Renewed. Our study also shows that AAA has the highest average premiums, but drivers who are thinking about AAA should get a quote to see if their individual rate is more competitive.
Read our AAA review to learn more.
10. U.S. News Rating: American Family 3.7 American Family dropped four spots this year and now ranks No. 10 in our examination. Although American Family receives a slightly higher score than Progressive in our Best for Customer Loyalty category, its scores are among the lowest in most subrating categories. Even though some drivers have low scores, American Family has competitive rates for them, especially teens, drivers with bad credit, and drivers who have been in an accident or had a DUI.
Read more in our review of American Family.
Compare Car Insurance Quotes Complete a single, easy form to receive free, individualized quotes.
See Your Rates
What Is the Best Vehicle Insurance Agency?
As per our information and client overview results, USAA is the best by and large vehicle insurance agency. USAA insurance products, on the other hand, are only available to veterans and active-duty military personnel and their families. State Ranch positions No. 2 in our survey, ranking it as the best auto insurance provider for non-USAA members.
Even though USAA and State Farm have the highest ratings, it’s still a good idea to think about and compare a number of insurers that made our Best Car Insurance Companies of 2023 list. Doing so may assist you in locating appropriate insurance.
Based on customer feedback, USAA also topped all five of our sub rankings. In any case, not all policyholders will meet USAA’s participation prerequisites. As a result, we’ve chosen the runner-up in each category so that every customer can choose the best option in each area.
Obtaining and comparing quotes for automobile insurance is essential if rates are a major factor in your decision. Even though the average rates in our study are included, your individual car insurance rate will be affected by a number of factors, including your age, location, driving history, credit score, preferred coverage type, and amount, so it’s important to compare your options based on your current demographics. A quote can help you figure out which insurers offer the best deals and accurately estimate costs.
Best for Client assistance:
State Farm and USAA State Farm and USAA are ranked No. 1 and No. 2, in each case. Sixty-five percent of USAA customers who haven’t yet filed a claim report being extremely pleased with the way they were helped by customer service. With nearly 64% of USAA customers stating that they are extremely satisfied with the insurer’s customer service, this percentage drops only slightly among those who have made a claim.
State Farm might be an option for you if you are not covered by USAA. Almost 60% of State Farm customers who haven’t filed a claim say they were very happy with their experience with customer service. State Farm, like USAA, has slightly lower ratings for customer satisfaction among claimants. Sixty-six percent of people who took the survey say that their experience with customer service was completely satisfactory.
Customers also gave Geico, Farmers, and Nationwide scores that were higher than average.
Best for Cases Taking care of: Travelers takes the No. 1 spot when it comes to handling claims, which is an essential part of any insurance policy. 1 position in this group. It receives a rating of 4.3 out of 5 and is the only insurance company to surpass USAA, which holds the lead in every other subrating category that we looked at. Nearly 62% of Travelers customers express complete satisfaction with the ease with which they can file a claim, and 65% express complete satisfaction with the resolution of their claims.
Additionally, the claims handling scores for Farmers, Nationwide, and State Farm were higher than average.
Most Likely to Receive a Good Review: USAA and Nationwide Customers are most likely to recommend USAA to other drivers looking for insurance because of their low rates and strong scores across all of the categories we looked at.
In the absence of a claim, 53% of USAA customers say they are very likely to recommend the insurer, and 18% say they are likely to recommend USAA car insurance. Customers of USAA are even more likely to recommend their insurer after filing a claim. Sixty-one percent of the people we surveyed say they would recommend the insurer, and another eight percent say they would recommend it.
Nationwide may be an option for you if USAA membership is unavailable to you. In the absence of a claim, 31% of customers say they would recommend Nationwide to other drivers, and 41% say they are likely to do so. Cross country’s scores improve among clients who have recorded a case. 42 of them say they are very likely to recommend their insurance company, and 32% say they are likely to.
State Farm and Allstate are two other insurance providers that performed well in this category.
Most Likely to Remain: The willingness of USAA and State Farm A policyholders to renew their coverage can reveal a great deal about their overall experience with the insurer. USAA outperforms State Farm in customer loyalty by less than one point.
78% of USAA customers who haven’t filed a claim say they are likely to renew their policy or very likely to do so. In the survey, nearly 70% of those who have filed a claim say they would recommend USAA to other drivers.
USAA insurance products are difficult to obtain, as previously stated.
State Farm, which claims to be the No. 1 insurance company, might be an option for you if you are unable to join. 2nd place in our subrating of the Most Likely to Be Renewed.
When it comes time to renew their policy, 76% of State Farm customers who have not yet filed a claim say they are likely or very likely to remain with their current insurer. That number drops to 69% among respondents who have recorded a case.
Best for Retention of Clientele: Loyalty to USAA and Nationwide is a sign of a policyholder’s willingness to recommend their insurer and keep their policy in effect. It should come as no surprise that USAA also comes in first place in this subrating due to its high renewal and recommendation score. Nationwide might be an option for you if USAA isn’t right for you. In our Most Likely to Be Recommended category, it comes in second, and in our Most Likely to Be Renewed category, it gets scores that are higher than average.
Farmers, State Farm, and Travelers are also among the businesses that have higher-than-average levels of customer loyalty.
What is the cost of automobile insurance?
Our most recent study indicates that car insurance costs an average of $1,539 per vehicle. However, there are a number of factors that could cause your premium to be higher or lower, including:
Age Driving record Location Type and amount of coverage Credit score Discounts on auto insurance are often available from any insurer. These discounts take into account certain demographic factors, driving record, and even active driving evaluation. The easiest way to find out how much you might pay for car insurance is to get quotes. You can get vehicle protection quotes on the web or by conversing with a specialist by means of email, via telephone, or face to face.
How much coverage do I need for my car?
There are a number of factors that influence how much insurance you need. State requirements are one of the most important indicators of how much coverage you may require. Drivers are required by law to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in the majority of states. Uninsured motorist coverage or personal injury protection (PIP) are two additional types of insurance that are mandated by some states for motorists to carry.
The next thing to think about are any requirements from the lender or lessor. The amount of insurance you must carry is specified in your loan or lease agreement if you make monthly payments on your vehicle. Make reference to your financing agreement, lessor, or lender.
Read “How Much Car Insurance Do I Need?” for additional advice on selecting the appropriate amount of auto insurance. guide.
Frequently Asked Questions Which of the leading auto insurance providers are there?
We conducted a nationwide survey of over 10,000 policyholders and discovered that the following insurers represent the leading auto insurance companies:
#1 USAA; #2 State Farm; #3 Farmers; #4 Nationwide; #5 Geico; #6 Allstate; #6 Travelers; #8 Progressive; #8 AAA; #10 American Family Check out our list of the 2023 Cheapest Car Insurance Companies if you’re looking for the cheapest coverage.
Who offers the best automobile insurance?
Our most recent data analysis shows that State Farm and USAA are the best auto insurance companies. In our customer survey, USAA received the highest overall score and came in first place in nearly every subrating we looked at. Additionally, it has the lowest rates among the auto insurers analyzed.
Products from USAA are only available to military personnel. Drivers who don’t squeeze into that classification are probably going to find the best inclusion through State Homestead, which has the second-most noteworthy score in our overview and rates that are below the public normal.
Farmers, Nationwide, and Geico are three other insurers with survey scores that are above average.
Which auto insurance is the most affordable?
Our research for 2022 shows that USAA has the cheapest car insurance. The annual average rate is $1,000, $539 lower than the national average. Geico typically has the lowest rates for drivers who do not meet the eligibility requirements for coverage through USAA. The annual average rate at Geico is $1,148, which is $391 higher than the national average.
Keep in mind that the average rate of an insurer might not be the same as your own. Obtaining and comparing quotes from a variety of insurers is the most effective method for locating the most affordable rates.
How might I track down the best cost on vehicle protection?
The International Insurance Institute (III) advises consumers to obtain quotes from at least three insurers in order to obtain the best auto insurance rate. Compare quotes for the same amount and type of coverage as you shop for coverage.
For additional tips on finding the best auto insurance, including inclusion types and how to save money on accident coverage, visit our Beginning and end You Really want to Be aware of Vehicle Protection page.